20-10-2017 by 
0
0.00 of 0 votes

 

We're coming to the end now of the carbon monoxide staff training that we have been doing through the NGN Community Promises Fund.

We have started to ask for some feedback to see exactly what actions have been taken since we visited some organisations earlier this year.

From the 16 responses so far:

  •     8 staff members have bought a CO alarm for their own homes
  •     5 have had their own boiler serviced
  •     13 have talked to friends or family about CO
  •     14 have advised families or households they support
  •     11 have given out leaflets to families they support or work with

In total these members of staff estimate that they have reached a total of 311 households with information and/or advice.

We have also had some really interesting comments about how the training has been used and also how important a role frontline staff can play in raising awareness of CO:

 

 

"I had a family, their boiler broke down, so they didn't have heating in the house, mum said she is using the gas cooker to warm up the house, I told her it`s dangerous, because it can produce CO gas, which blocks the O2 to get into the body, so people can be very sick. I called a plumber for the family to check the boiler"

"I have informed all of our volunteers, some have taken action and purchased a detector"

"The common mistake a lot of our families were doing, was leaving the cooker burners on to warm up the kitchen not knowing the effects of carbon monoxide"

"People have not been aware of the risks. Some thought their smoke alarm also detected this. A few had them placed not ideally 2 people had open fires and though that wasn't a risk. I had my boiler serviced and moved one alarm and purchased another. Its been quite suprising how many people didn't know they should have one"

"I bought 3 carbon monoxide detectors one for my own home one for my daughters home and one for my mothers home"

"We recently visited a family as part of a Home safety, the land lord had not had the gas appliances checked for some time. We advised her to ask for them to be checked, we also gave them a carbon monoxide alarm. Several days later the family rang the centre to say the alarm had gone off. They went to the hospital and found that they were all suffering from the effects of carbon monoxide. the dad thanked us for saving their lives. I find that 50% of the homes we go to know about carbon monoxide, but do not have a alarm fitted. I also find that people that do have an alarm only have one and it my be a three floor house, so I advice them to buy more alarms to cover the house. We did used to have alarms to give to families when we completed a home safety assessment, but now we do not have the funding to do so; all families get the advice"

 

It has been really fantastic to see that we haven't just done the training and then for it to be forgotten.

The comments we have received so far suggests that staff really have taken up the mantel to spread important messages further afield to the vulnerable families and residents that they support on a day-to-day basis.

 

Captcha

Comments

Captcha