News

22-11-2021 by 
0
0.00 of 0 votes

We are very pleased to be supporting Carbon Monoxide Awareness Week that runs from 22nd to 28th November 2021. We'll be involved with talks in local communities, raising awareness of carbon monoxide on social media, and encouraging staff and volunteers from organisations to equip themselves with the knowledge to support others to stay safe from carbon monoxide (CO). 

We are particularly excited to be linking up with some of our Community Energy Ambassadors to promote CO awareness within local communities. Organisations such as Age UK Hull, Kirklees Visual Impairment Network, Calderdale Healthy Minds, Effective Communities in Carlisle, Keyring, Carers Count, Carers Resource and Everyday Enable in North Yorkshire will all be giving talks to their client groups.

What can you do?

The best thing you can do is learn about CO, recognise the symptoms, buy an audible alarm and get your appliances serviced annually. You can also help us by spreading the word and encouraging others to take steps to keep themselves safe.

We have an e-learning video all about carbon monoxide here so you can equip yourself with all the knowledge you need: https://youtu.be/GZ6u52OFmbs

You can also follow us on Facebook (https://www.facebook.com/yorkshireenergydoctorcic) and Twitter (@yorksenergydr) and share posts and information on CO.

 

Additional information:

 

What is CO?

Carbon monoxide (CO) is a poisonous gas. It is known as the Silent Killer as you can’t see it, taste it or smell it. Around 50 people die every year from carbon monoxide poisoning and 4000 people end up in A&E.

How is CO produced?

Carbon monoxide can be produced if fuel does not burn properly. This may happen if there is inadequate ventilation or if an appliance has not been fitted properly or is poorly maintained. It is not just from gas - CO could be produced from burning wood, coal, oil, bbq coals or petrol/diesel.

What are the symptoms of CO poisoning?

Symptoms from lower levels of carbon monoxide include headaches, tiredness and nausea, things that can be easily confused with other illnesses. At a higher exposure level, CO can cause breathlessness, collapse or unconsciousness.

What can you do to stay safe?

You can take the following steps to stay safe:

  • Get a carbon monoxide alarm certified to BS50291. Alarms cost around £15 and need to be audible, a spot detector that changes colour is no good.
  • Test your alarm regularly and check the expiry date - most last 7-10 years.
  • Get your boiler and other appliances serviced annually by a registered engineer
  • Keep chimneys swept
  • Don’t block vents
  • Call the National Gas Emergency Service if you suspect CO poisoning – 0800 111 999

 

 

 

Captcha

Comments

Captcha