As part of National Debt Awareness Week 2024, we’ll be advising on what you should do if you’re behind with your energy bills.

1. Speak to your energy supplier as early as possible

They have to help you identify an affordable payment plan. You will need to cover your ongoing energy usage, but you can ask to spread your arrears over 1-5 years. If it’s over 1 year then they may ask you to go to a debt advice charity first.
2. Check whether your energy supplier can help with a grant
Many of the energy suppliers have hardship grants, see:
Utilita (credit customers on a legacy meter only)
If you are with a supplier not listed above, then you could try the British Gas Energy Trust which can help customers of other energy suppliers which do not have their own hardship fund (but currently only open to prepayment customers).
3. Check for other grants
Turn2Us have an excellent grants finder tool which enables you to search for grants based on jobs you have done or health conditions.
4. Help with water arrears
Yorkshire Water have two schemes that can help if you are behind on your water bills:
  • Community Trust
  • Resolve scheme

See here for more information.

If you would like any further advice around dealing with energy or water debts then please contact kate@yorkshireenergydoctorg.uk or call 07738 818391: