Heating and Insulation

How can I find out how energy efficient my house is and what I can do to save energy?

If you have moved into your house in the last 15 years, you should have an Energy Performance Certificate – this is a legal requirement every time a house is sold or rented out. This rates a house from A to G based on insulation, heating system and controls, fuel type, lighting etc. They also identify what you can do to improve the energy efficiency. You can search for your EPC by your address here


I don’t have central heating, are there any schemes that can help me with this?

If you already have a mains gas connection then you may be able to get a grant towards a first time central heating system if you receive certain benefits and if the house also requires insulation (JJ Crump). If you don’t have a mains gas connection then Communitas Energy may be able to help with an assisted connection.

If you own your home it is also worth contacting your local Council as many have home repair assistance type schemes that may be able to help with heating upgrades.

Where can I go for help with a new boiler?

There aren’t as many free boiler schemes as there were a few years ago and a household contribution is often required. The help that is still available stems from the government’s Energy Company Obligation (ECO) scheme. To be eligible you will need to 1) own the property or rent from a private landlord, 2) have an EPC rating of D to G (home owners)  and E to G (private rented) and 3) receive means-tested benefits (disability benefits are no longer standalone qualifying benefits) – click here for more information. There is no help available for a replacement oil or LPG boiler and, even for gas, the installation must be accompanied by insulation measures as part of a ‘whole house’ approach.

Possible options: Clever Energy Boilers0800 RepairYES Energy Solutions.


Can I get help with a renewable heating system?

There are grants for heat pumps available for homes that are not connected to mains gas. Possible options

North Yorkshire Council’s ‘Home Upgrade Grant’ – eligible if household income is under £31,000

Connected for Warmth – eligible if you receive a means-tested benefit and have an EPC rating of E to G

Boiler upgrade scheme – since 23rd October, all households can apply for a grant of £7,500 to replace a fossil fuel boiler with a heat pump 


Can I get a grant for new windows?

There have never really been any grants available for new windows, primarily because of the very high cost and the low level of energy savings that they generate. It may be worth checking with your local authority to see if they offer any kind of home repair assistance funds for home owners.

Can I get free loft and cavity wall insulation? 

Some possible places to try:

Connected for Warmth – fully funded insulation via the National Grid

Great British Insulation Scheme – grants of up to £1,500 for insulation, eligibility based on Council Tax A to D and EPC rating D to G

YES Energy Solutions – partner for North Yorkshire Council for energy efficiency measures.

EDF – possible grants if you receive certain means-tested benefits, have an EPC rating of D or below, and be an EDF customer.

E.ON Green Homes Grants – you do not have to be an E.ON customer